Here are some resources/references/publications on Experience Design that were used to develop a Tutorial at CSCW 2011 in China that Elizabeth Goodman, Marco de Sa and I prepared and delivered. Thanks to all Facebook friends who offered suggestions.
CAVEAT: This is NOT an exhaustive list obviously; there are some excellent resources out there. These just happen to be some we used when creating the tutorial. We also drew on some of the content that was taught at a workshop at UX Week 2010.
Industry perspectives on UX design
- Peter Merholz, Todd Wilkens, Brandon Schauer, and David Verba (2008), Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World: Adaptive Path on Design. O’Reilly Media.
- Bill Moggridge (2006) Designing Interactions. MIT Press
- Mike Kuniavsky (2010) Smart Things: Ubiquitous Computing User Experience Design, Morgan Kaufman
Skills and techniques
- Kim Goodwin (2009) Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services, Wiley Publishing
Sketching and prototyping
- Bill Buxton (2007) Sketching User Experiences, Elsevier (hovers in between academic and industry perspectives)
- Dan Roam (2009) The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures, Penguin Group USA
- Roger Martin (2009) The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage, Harvard Business School Publishing.
- Tim Brown with Barry Katz (2009) Change by Design. How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation, Harper Collins.
- Alan Cooper (1999) The Inmates are Running the Asylum, Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc.
Psychology and philosophy of experience
- Don Norman (1998) The Design of Everyday Things. MIT Press
- M Csikszentmihalyi (2003) Good Business: Leadership. Flow and the Making of Meaning (Viking, New York)
- Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly (1998). Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement With Everyday Life. Basic Books.
- Byron Reeves and Clifford Nass (1996) The Media Equation: How People Treat Computers, Television, and New Media Like Real People and Places, University of Chicago Press.
- Peter Wright & John McCarthy (2004) Technology As Experience. MIT press
- Tor Nørretranders (1998). The User Illusion: Cutting Consciousness Down to Size. Viking.
- Merleau-Ponty, Maurice. Trans: Colin Smith. Phenomenology of Perception (London: Routledge, 2005)
- Wolfgang Iser (1980) The Act of Reading: A Theory of Aesthetic Response, John Hopkins University Press
- Stop Stealing Sheep (type usage)
- UI Wizards.com
- Scott McCloud (2006) Making Comics, Harper
- John Hart (2008) The Art of the Storyboard, Second Edition: A filmmaker’s introduction. Elsevier.
- Wendy Tumminello (2004) Exploring Storyboarding (Design Exploration). Thomson Learning.
- Steven Douglas Katz (1991) Film directing shot by shot: visualizing from concept to screen, Focal Press (on movie making; good for video and transitional literacy)
- Scott Kelby (2006) The Digital Photography Book, Peachpit Press
Some other books/resources we have drawn on in the past
- Richard Saul Wurman (2000) Information Anxiety 2, Pearson Education
- Works by Edward Tufte
- Hiroshi Ishii’s work.
- Neil Gershenfeld (1999) When Things Start to Think, Holt, Henry & Company, Inc.
- Brain Rules by John Medina (see also http://brainrules.net/)
What the Bleep Do We Know? (and ancillary pieces, such as the movie and the Web site)
Richard Sexton (1987) American Style Classic Product Design from Airstream to Zippo
We also watched a number of short presentations and interviews online with Experience Design researchers, practitioners and luminaries.